Tuesday, November 25, 2014

I'm dreaming of a Huntsville Christmas

email 25 November 2014
Hello hello one and all! 30 days till Christmas!!! 

SISTER HADDEN AND I ARE STAYING TOGETHER IN HUNTSVILLE!!!!!! So happy! I love being able to sing together everywhere we go!:) it's been such a blessing. 

This past week was a regional stake conference. So it was held at the event center where the cultural celebration for the Ogden temple was held. 10 stakes were there in the events center and then they broadcasted it to 30 other stakes! STAKES! There are 40 stakes in the Ogden temple district! It was an amazing conference. Sister Hadden and I sang at the adult Saturday night session. We sang a really pretty arrangement of "Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy". It turned out really well and the spirit was so strong:) I wish I had a recording to send to you. [Here is one by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir - Ed Sarlls]

3 out of the 4 speakers talked about temples. They shared a story about this girl who was on a date and the guy she was on a date with asked her, "So, how Mormon are you?" And she told him, "I wasn't aware there were different levels." and he asked her, "Do you follow the rules or do you have fun?" And she responded by saying, "I follow the rules. And it's fun!" This really struck me. I think all of us are guilty at one time or another of being the one asking the question, "How Mormon are you?"  I definitely have been there. Even asking myself, "How Mormon am I?". But really we are either standing with Christ or we aren't.

I was studying a lot about repentance this week. I looked at the bible dictionary definition of Prayer [link]. It says "Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other." That's why prayer is such a big part of repentance. Because repentance is change. And when we pray, our desires change. We start desiring what our Heavenly Father desires for us. Elder L. Tom Perry spoke at the stake conference and he talked about the importance of studying the first 3 lessons we teach as a family.

The restoration, the plan of salvation, and the gospel of Jesus Christ. [See short videos of Elder L. Tom Perry explaining the Restoration above and the Plan of Salvation at right. - Ed Sarlls] I think this is so important. It's those basic principles. There are a lot of people we teach who have been members their whole life but they never understood these basics. They started learning in depth concepts without a foundation. As we teach them these basics, we have been able to see them learn and grow. And we can see their faith and testimony grow and strengthen. We are working with so many amazing people. Studying these things as a family will strengthen all of your relationships. And you will be able to see miracles happen in your family and in your home. 

We found a place in Huntsville that does sleigh rides with hot chocolate and they take you to go pick out a Christmas tree. WHAT?! HOW DID THEY KNOW THAT'S ALL MY DREAMS ROLLED INTO ONE?!?! So excited!!! We're booked to sing at all of the Christmas parties. There's 8 so far. Haha we're going to have turkey and potatoes for the rest of the year.

We went to a service project and they had soup there for everyone. ONE OF THEM WAS GUMBO. there's a lady in the stake from Louisiana. Tender mercy for me. It tasted like home:) and we make turkey and sausage gumbo every Thanksgiving. So I still got a homey thanksgiving!!! 


We live next to these baby cows and sometimes we just stop and talk to them. 

Well I'm doing great! I love Huntsville and it's a magical place:) I love you! 

Merry 30 days till Christmas, 

Sister Sarlls 
Elder Daggs (flawless) is like my best friend haha he's so awesome.
Elder Andrus was my district leader. And of course sister Hadden.

No comments:

Post a Comment