Tuesday, November 4, 2014

51 DAYS TILL CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!

email 04 November 2014
This is the time of year where I miss all of my Christmas sweaters.

Soooo We aren't allowed to go out on Halloween because a lot of people dress up as missionaries and do crazy stuff hahaha they do this so if the Mission President gets a call about a missionary doing something wrong he can just say that all of us were inside a church building so it wasn't us. Because of that, we had a mandatory zone Halloween party!!! It was super fun! We played volleyball and watched The Saratov Approach. It's weird because I first watched it when I was deciding whether or not to go on a mission (bad movie to watch for that), then when I was about to leave on my mission, and now while I'm on my mission. I loved hearing everyone's reaction watching it for the first time. Haha We were all shouting things at the movie to help those missionaries. Haha

One of the things I loved learning this week: there are only 2 emotions, Love and Fear. Love is of Heavenly Father and fear isn't. I'm a very fearful person. But I love my Heavenly Father and so that love that I have for Him replaces my fear. So I've been trying to recognize when I'm acting in fear and how I can change it to love. It's harder sometimes to get past that fear and negativity and to change it. But I know as I show my love for Heavenly Father, then I will feel His love for me.

Our zone theme this transfer is "forget yourself and go to work". Yesterday we were all asked what that means to us personally. Because of things I've been dealing with...it's been hard for me to try and think about myself and make sure I'm healthy mentally, emotionally, and physically, but also forget myself. But as I was thinking about this, I came to a conclusion that this is what it means to me to forget yourself and go to work: it means doing all you can at that time. Whether it's 20% or 120%. It's not forgetting yourself. It's forgetting your imperfections and insecurities and trusting fully in The Lord and His Work.

Whenever it tells you in the scriptures that the Holy Ghost can bring things to memory, I've always just thought of situations where you're taking a test and remember the answers. But I had an experience this week that thought me another way that works. We were teaching this couple about how God is our loving Heavenly Father. They were having some trouble feeling and believing this for themselves and I remembered an experience I had in 6th grade and I was prompted to share it. I had a bad day and asked Dad for a blessing. I only remember one line from that blessing. I remember when he told me "Heavenly Father loves you". It stuck with me through all this time. I can't imagine what my life would be like if I didn't know that. I remember breaking down crying when that statement was said. I had totally forgotten about this experience until that moment and I was able to listen to the promptings of the spirit and testify that Heavenly Father knows our hearts and our needs and that he loves us.

I've been able to find more opportunities to sing! We were able to be a part of the missionary musical fireside in Logan and we're doing the one in Ogden on the 16th:) it's been such a blessing and a stress relief. Missions are hard, y'all! But you definitely learn a lot about managing stress and what helps you. For me, I NEED MUSIC. So whenever I need a break, we've started going to members homes and letting me sing while they play the piano. I've loved it :)

I'm doing swell and can wait for Christmas and for snow!!! We should be getting snow any day now! I love you!

Love, Sister Sarlls

 






No comments:

Post a Comment