Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Moments That Matter Most

email 13 October 2015

It seems that each week in my mission just keeps going faster and faster. I pray every night that time will slow down a little and that I'll have a little bit more on my mission. But unfortunately, it is God's will and not my own.

A lot of fun things have happened this past week! First of all, my favorite senior couple in all the land, the Hadley's, came home from a 2 week trip to Texas!!! They sent us a postcard and I was happy to see a little bit of Texas! Also I have some happy and sad news. SISTER MANLEY GOT HER VISA TO BRAZIL!!!! I know she's super excited! She leaves at the end of this transfer. I'm excited for her but I can't say I'm TOO excited. I loved having her here. I've been so very blessed with wonderful companions.

This past Sunday had some pretty awkward moments in it. Of course, it was testimony meeting. There was an old lady to went up there and she was quite hysterical. She was telling this lady to stand up with her baby and show everyone. She was saying "Look at that pure face!" And the whole time she was BAWLING. She was up there quite a while and she starting to end her testimony and said "I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ LOOK AT YOUR CHILDREN! LOOK INTO THEIR EYES!!!" Everyone was so startled and of course all the kids felt a little uncomfortable. It was very very interesting. And I hate to say it, but I was laughing and when I laughed my mint flew out of my mouth to the pew in front of me!!! SO EMBARRASSING. Then later on we were in another Ward and the chorister was very loud. He was heard to the very back. And he whole song was going nicely when all of a sudden he starts slowing way down at the end of the verse. Everyone was done with the verse. Even the organist was done. But he still had another line to go!!! So we all just sat there and the organist held out the note while we waited for him to finish. This happened with
every verse, hahaha. We were all confused.

We have been praying and praying for someone who is prepared to be baptized before Sister Manley leaves. Last week we had a lesson outside with this little girl named Trinity who had a lot of sincere questions about Jesus Christ! So we went by again yesterday and she and her brother really want to be baptized! And their mom is on board! So they're on date for the 24th of this month. They're eager to learn and love the gospel and praying together!

We had a little tender mercy this week. Sister Manley and I were riding home one night and we were at a corner waiting to cross the street. We were looking up at the stars when we saw a shooting star!!! It was huge, bright, and it shot across very slow so we could enjoy it. That was a friendly reminder to me to slow down and enjoy the moments we are having. 

We've been showing the Mormon Message "Moments that Matter Most" a lot lately. It's all about slowing down to enjoy what God has given us. Something that I noticed these past few times I've watched it is almost all of the moments they show are with family. The moments that matter most are with not only family, but with people. 


It reminds me of President Monson quoting Barbara Johnson:
 "Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved."
People need to take more time to love. There are so many things that are fast paced now. I think the biggest way we can show others we care is to slow down. Be slow to anger. Be slow to be annoyed. Be patient. Be slow to listen. Slow your life to allow time for theirs. 

This is what Christ did. When He was on His way to perform a miracle and the lady touched his robe, He didn't keep going to get his task done. He stopped. He spent a moment with her. And He loved the one. I'm trying to apply this to myself and my ministry. Every day there are moments that matter most. I'm trying to find them.

Well this has been a wonderful week:) I'm working on slowing down. Mostly so that my mission lasts a little bit longer. I love you all. I love this gospel with all that I am. And I know it's true.

Love, Sister Sarlls

 (Coming next week - an indoor skydiving experience. Ed.)


No comments:

Post a Comment